Raspberry Pi Pico is Raspberry Pi's first microcontroller board, designed especially for physical computing. Microcontrollers are a different type of device than Single Board Computers, they don't run an operating system and they are typically programmed to do just one task - though that task can be pretty intricate and exciting! They're perfect for experimenting with hardware and using as the brains of custom devices, machines, and inventions.
It can be easily reprogrammed over USB from a Raspberry Pi or other computer using the C/C++ SDK or the official MicroPython port. The landing page is the best place to get started or scroll down for links to the technical documentation for both the Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller board and the RP2040 microcontroller chip.
Raspberry Pi Pico is a low-cost, high-performance microcontroller board with flexible digital interfaces, built on silicon designed at Raspberry Pi. Key features include:
1. RP2040 microcontroller chip designed by Raspberry Pi in the United Kingdom
2. Dual-core ARM Cortex M0+ processor, flexible clock running up to 133 MHz
3. 264kB of SRAM, and 2MB of onboard Flash memory
4. The castellated module allows soldering directly to carrier boards
5. USB 1.1 Host and Device support
6. Low-power sleep and dormant modes
7. Drag & drop programming using mass storage over USB
8. 26 multi-function GPIO pins
9. 2×SPI, 2×I2C, 2×UART, 3×12-bit ADC, 16×controllable PWM channels
10. Accurate clock and timer on-chip
11. Temperature sensor
12. Accelerated floating-point libraries on-chip
13. 8×Programmable IO (PIO) state machines for custom peripheral support
Documentation for the Raspberry Pi Pico board and the RP2040 microcontroller:
1. Raspberry Pi Pico Datasheet - An RP2040-based microcontroller board
2. RP2040 Datasheet - A microcontroller by Raspberry Pi
3. Hardware design with the RP2040 - Using the RP2040 microcontroller to build boards and products
4. Getting Started with Raspberry Pi Pico - C/C++ development with the Pico and other RP2040-based microcontroller boards
5. Pico C/C++ SDK - Libraries and tools for C/C++ development on the RP2040 microcontroller
6. Pico Python SDK - A MicroPython environment for the RP2040 microcontroller
The API level Doxygen documentation for the Raspberry Pi Pico C/C++ SDK is available as a micro-site.
There's a handy interactive pinout for Raspberry Pi Pico at pico.pinout.xyz.